Sunday 15 March 2009

Nightmares on Canal St

That isn't my real address of course. I'm not that stupid!

Friday night was the only night in the last seven where I haven't hallucinated & walked in my sleep. I'm not entirely sure of the reason behind this. Sure, I do it, but never have I done it quite so intensively over so many days.

I live on my own and it's really frickin scary when it happens. My ex used to shout at me when I did it. Arse. Because I was really enjoying myself!

Visual represenation: The Nightmare, by Henry Fuseli(1781) is thought to be one of the classic depictions of sleep paralysis perceived as a demonic visitation (source: Wikipedia).


The science bit:
I have done some web-based research and believe I suffer from hypnopompic hallucinations and sleep paralysis. "Images or speaking that appear during the paralysis. The person may think that someone is standing beside them or they may hear strange sounds. These may be dreamlike, possibly causing the person to think that they are still dreaming. Often it is reported as feeling a weight on one's chest, as if being underneath a person or heavy object.
These symptoms can last from mere seconds to several minutes (although they can feel like much longer) and can be frightening to the person. There may be some body movement, but it is very unlikely and hard for a person to accomplish."

In the past few days I have a a bloke crouched down the side of my bed twice. On waking up fully, I put the light on, he is no longer there. I go to find him. He is no where to be found. I then realise it's one of my episodes! I also had a massive spider on the ceiling, with long, twitching legs. I have to sleep with the bedside light on for the rest of the night, which doesn't aid a restful night's sleep.

I must say though, throughout all this, creative thoughts have been at an all time high. So it's not all bad...

What crazy things have you done in your sleep?
xoxo

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like it really could be the resin. One of my friends works with resin and said that he has the same problems!

mamutopia said...

Sounds pretty scary!

Fortunately I've never experienced anything like that, I sleep aaalll night long :)

bex said...

i think ive had one of those dream paralysis things before...when i was a teenager...they aren't very nice...maybe you should go to the doctor??

Anonymous said...

How freaky Rowan. I remember my Grandma telling me that i tried to get into her wardrobe one night when i was younger. I always talk in my sleep and Dave wakes me up talking.

Holly said...

Wow, I have really crazy dreams too; maybe it's the moon or something!